Kajol is the most popular Indian film actress, who predominantly works in Hindi cinema. Her born name was Kajol Mukherjee and she is also known by her married name Kajol Devgan. She is half Bengali and half Maharashtrian. She born in Bombay into the Samarth-Mukherjee family, she is the daughter of famous actress Tanuja Samarth and filmmaker Shomu Mukherjee. Her talent in acting for Bollywood industry bought her many awards including six Filmfare Awards, and alongside her aunt Nutan, she holds the record for most Best Actress wins at the ceremony, with five. In 2011, the Government of India awarded her with Padma Shri, the fourth highest civilian honour of the country.
After making her debut in the 1992 Bekhudi novel, Kajol made her first commercial success with the 1993 thriller Baazigar. She has starred in several of the best romances, including Yeh Dillagi (1994), Ishq (1997), Pyaar Kiya in Darna Kya (1998), Pyaar in Hona Hi Tha (1998) and Hum Aapke Dil. Mein Rehte Hain (1999) – and received critical acclaim for playing against the guy in the 1997 Gupt: The Hidden Truth mystery film, which earned him a Filmfare award for best villain and psychological thriller Dushman. His interpretation of a conservative NRI in the novel Dilwale Dulhania The Jayenge (1995), a tomboy in romance Kuch Kuch Hota Hai (1998), a loquacious woman in melodrama Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham … A woman in the thriller Romantic Fanaa (2006) and a single mom in the drama My Name Is Khan (2010) won five Filmfare Awards for Best Actress. Her most popular release was with the action comedy Dilwale (2015), one of the most profitable Indian films of all time.
In addition to playing in movies, Kajol is a social activist. She is known for her work with widows and children, for whom she received the Karmaveer Puraskaar in 2008. She was a judge of the reality TV Zee TV Rock-N-Roll. Family and holds a management position at Devgn Entertainment and Software Ltd. Kajol has been married to actor Ajay Devgn since 1999, with whom she has two children.
Kajol has received six Filmfare Awards, including five Best Actress awards for Dilwale Dulhania The Jayenge (1995), Kuch Kuch Hota Hai (1998), Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham (2001), Fanaa (2006) and My Name Is Khan (2010) , and a Best Villain Award (also known as the Filmfare Award for Best Performance in a Negative Role) for Gupt: The Hidden Truth (1997). In 2011, the Indian government awarded him the fourth Indian Civil Award Padma Shri for his contributions to the arts.
In the year of 2006, Kajol was part of the four Bollywood actors, alongside Priyanka Chopra, Hrithik Roshan and Shahrukh Khan, whose miniature dolls were launched in the United Kingdom, under the name of “Bollywood Legends”.
In 2012, Kajol has been selected in the fourth position by NDTV in the listing of “The most popular actresses of all time”, behind actresses Madhuri Dixit, Sridevi and Meena Kumari. The same year, she was recognized by Yahoo.com as one of the ten most iconic beauties of Hindi cinema.
|Actual Name:||Kajol Mukherjee|
|Debut:||Film Debut: Bekhudi (1992)
TV Debut: Rock-N-Roll Family (2008, as a judge)
|Famous Role:||Simran in DDLG|
|Controversies:||Her longtime friendship with Karan Johar ended in 2016, and the reason behind it was the Diwali clash of her husband Ajay’s Shivaay and Karan Johar's Ae Dil Hai Mushkil. Karan also said that he will never be friends with Kajol again. However, the reconciliation began when Kajol liked a post of Karan's twins Yash and Roohi. According to reports, she also invited him to a party, where they ended their differences.|
|Award(s):||Filmfare Awards in 1995,1996,1998,1999,2000,2002,200,2009,2011,2016
Star Screen Awards in 1999,2002,2010,2016
Zee Cine Awards in 1998,1999,2002,2007
BIG Star Entertainment Awards in 2010
Bollywood Movie Awards in 1999,2002
International Indian Film Academy Awards in 2002,2007
Stardust Awards in 2011
National honours in 2002,2008,2011
Other awards in 1995,2014,2019,2020
Personal Life Info
|Date Of Barth:||August 5, 1974|
|Birth Place:||Mumbai, Maharashtra, India|
|Age (as in 2019):||45 Years|
|Zodiac Sign/Sun Sign:||Leo|
|Hometown:||Mumbai, Maharashtra, India|
|School:||St. Joseph's Convent School, Panchgani, Maharashtra|
|Education Qualification:||School dropout|
|Family:||Father- Late Shomu Mukherjee (Filmmaker)
Mother- Tanuja (Actress)
Sister- Tanishaa Mukherjee (Younger, Actress)
|Address:||5/6, Sheetal Apartments, Ground Floor, Opposite Chandan Cinema, Juhu, Mumbai
45/D Malgari Road, Mumbai
Physical Stats & More
|Height(approx):||in centimeters- 161 cm
in meters- 1.61 m
in Feet Inches- 5'3”
|Weight(approx):||in Kilograms- 57 kg
in Pounds- 126 lbs
|Favourite Dishs:||Pizza, Spaghetti Salad with Olives and French Fries|
|Favourite Actors:||Ajay Devgn, Shah Rukh Khan|
|Favourite Perfume:||Cool Waters|
|Favourite Music:||Not Known|
|Favourite Movies:||Bollywood: Sholay, Chaalbaaz
Hollywood: Casablanca, Ironman 3, Gone With The Wind
|Favourite Director:||Aditya Chopra|
|Favourite Books:||Notes to Myself: My Struggle to Become a Person by Hugh Prather|
BoyFriend, Affairs & More
|Marrige Date:||February 24, 1999|
|Affairs/ Boyfriends:||Karthik (South Indian Actor)
Ajay Devgan (Bollywood Actor)
|Husband/ Spouse:||Ajay Devgan, Actor (1999-present)
|Cars Collection:||Mercedes Benz SUV
|Salary(approx):||9-12 crore/film (INR)|
|Net Worth(approx):||$16 million|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Kajol
- Before marriage, Kajol was known as Kajol Mukherjee and after marriage, she became Kajol Devgan. Although she is known mononymously as Kajol.
- Kajol is half Maharashtrian and half Bengali. She was born to actress Tanuja and film director Soumya Mukherjee.
- Kajol can speak in Marathi freely but struggles in speaking Bengali.
- Kajol studied at the Saint Joseph Convent boarding school in Panchgani. Apart from her studies, she participated in extracurricular activities such as dancing.
- She started her career at the age of 16 when she was in school.
- Kajol made her acting debut with Bekhudi. She subsequently quit her studies to pursue acting.
- Her first commercial success was Baazigar where she acted with Shahrukh Khan.
- Subsequently, she earned wider public recognition for playing leading roles in several blockbuster movies like Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge, Kuch Kuch Hota Hai, Kabhi Khushi Kabhi Gham, My Name is Khan and Dilwale, all starred with Shahrukh Khan.
- She earned critics review after playing a negative role in Gupt (1997) and Dushman(1998).
- She got pregnant in the year 2001 but she suffered a miscarriage. Kajol returned two films with the 2006 romantic thriller Fanaa and continued working infrequently to the rest of the decade. Fanaa received positive acclaim and became a commercial success.
- She received 6 Filmfare awards among 11 nominations.
- She holds the record foremost best actress wins at Filmfare 5 times with her aunts Natun.
- In 2011 she was awarded prestigious Padma Shri by the government of India.
- In addition to the acting, she is known for social activist and work with widows and children. For her activities work, she received the Karamveer puraskar in 2008.
- Kajol was in a relationship with actor Ajay Devgan since 1995.
- Kajal and Ajay get married in 1999 and she gave birth to daughter Nysa in 2003 and son Yug in 2010.
- Kajol’s younger sister Tanisha Mukherjee is also an actress.
- Her maternal aunt was actress Nutan and her maternal grandmother Shobhana Samarth and great grandmother Rattan Bai were both involved in the Hindi cinema.
- Her paternal uncle Joy Mukherjee and Dev Mukherjee were film producers while her paternal grandfather Sashadhar Mukherjee was a filmmaker.
- Kajol’s cousins Rani Mukherjee, Shivani Mukherjee, and Manish Bhal also Bollywood actors, and whereas another cousin of hers Ayan Mukherjee is a director.
- She was a role in 3 idiots (2009) but she refused the offer as she was not happy with the role.
- In 2010 she and Shah Rukh Khan became the first Indian actors to be involved in NASDAQ to open the American stock exchange.
- she has featured as a talent judge for Zee TV’s reality show Rock-N-Roll family.
- Her biggest hit Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge (1995) holds the record of reaching 1000+ consecutive weeks screening in a single cinema – Maratha Mandir in Mumbai.